This tutorial will show you how to do MLA Format using Nisus Writer Pro. It is very easy and we are going to accomplish the following settings:
- All text is font “Times New Roman” & Size 12.
- One-inch page margin for all sides (top, bottom, right and left).
- A header with your last name and page number 1/2 inch from the top-right of each page.
- The entire research paper is double-spaced.
- Your name, name of professor, course title, and due date of paper on the first page.
- Your research paper title is centered.
- Body paragraphs have a 1/2 inch first line indent.
- A Works Cited page beginning on a separate page at the end of the paper.
I. How to Set the Font and Size:
- Font: click on Format => Font => English => scroll down until you find Times New Romain then click on it.
- Size: click on Format => Size => click on 12.
II. How to Set the Margins in Nisus Writer Pro:
Click on Windows => Palettes => click on Margins => Change the values for Inner, Outer, Top & Bottom to 1 in.
III. How To Create a Header in Nisus Writer Pro:
- Click on the big Click For Header box
- Click on the T icon
- Change the font from Times to Times New Roman
- Click on the Alignright icon
- Type your Lastname and a blank space after the last name
- Click on Insert => Automatic Number => Page Number (to insert automatic page numbering).
IV. How to Setup Line Spacing to Double Spaced in Nisus Writer:
Click on Format => Paragraph Spacing => click on Double Space Lines
V. How to Enter the First Page Information:
- Type your full name => press Enter.
- Type your professor’s name => press Enter.
- Type course title => press Enter.
- Type your paper’s due date => press Enter.
- Click on the Align Center icon on the formatting toolbar (to center your blinking cursor) => Type the title of your paper, capitalizing the first letter and all major words and proper nouns. Do not use italics, boldfaced type, underlining, or all caps to format your title. Do not type a period at the end of the title => press Enter.
- Click on the Align Left icon (to bring your blinking cursor to the left).
- Click on the Tab key to indent 1/2 inch to begin your first paragraph. Use the Tab key on every next new paragraphs. Your completed setting should look like this:
VI. How to Setup the Works Cited Page:
Follow this how-to when you are ready to work on your Works Cited page. The Works Cited page has the following characteristics:
- A heading “Works Cited” centered one inch below the top edge of a new page. Do not bold or underline this heading.
- No indent on the first line of each entry. If an entry runs more than one line, indent the subsequent line or lines 1/2 inch from the left margin.
- Alphabetize entries in your list of works cited by the author’s last name, using the letter-by-letter system.
- Immediately after typing the final line of your paper, click on Insert => Page Break (to begin a new page). Your header with your last name and automatic page numbering should appear at the top left of your paper.
- Click on the Align Center icon so that the text is centered.
- Type Works Cited (do not underline, boldface, italicize, or enclose the title in quotation marks).
- Press the Enter key once to begin a new line.
- Click on the Align Left icon so that the text is aligned left.
- Now type your sources. Don’t worry about indentation on the subsequent line/lines yet.
- Once you are done typing your sources => highlight all your sources => click on the Left Indent icon and drag it to the 1/2 inch mark. You are done setting the Hanging Indent for your Works Cited page.
I hope you found this tutorial helpful. Take care!