Here is how to setup your research paper using the MLA Style. If your instructor has a specific requirement, be sure to obey his or her instructions.
|Paper||– Use white paper, 8 1/2 x 11 inches. If you lack this paper, you can use the closest available size.|
– Print on single side only.
|Margins||– 1 inch for all top, bottom, left, and right. (1 inch = 2.5cm)|
– For page numbers, set at 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) from the top upper-right hand corner, flushed to the right margin.
|Text Formatting||– Font: Times New Roman|
– Size: 12 points
– Do not justify the text
– Double-space the entire research paper
– Leave one space after a period
|Heading||Begin at 1 inch from the top of the page, type:|
– Your name
– Professor name
– Course number
– Due date
All on separate lines then begin your research paper title on a new line and center it (see first page sample below).
|Page Numbers||– Place page number in all pages|
– Place page numbers 1/2 inch from the top-right margin
– Type your last name before the page number: your last name followed by a space then page number.
|Tables and Illustrations||Place tables and illustrations as close as possible to the parts of the text to which they relate. A table is labeled Table, given an arabic numeral and titled. Photograph, map, drawing should be labeled Figure (usually abbreviated Fig.), assign an arabic numeral and give a caption. See samples below.|
Sample Of The First Page:
Here is a sample of the first page. If your instructor requires you to make a cover page, please follow instructions here.
– MLA Handbook, 8th Edition