This tutorial will show you how to do MLA Format using Corel WordPerfect. It is very easy and we are going to accomplish the following settings:
- All text is font “Times New Roman” & Size 12.
- One-inch page margin for all sides (top, bottom, right and left).
- A header with your last name and page number 1/2 inch from the top-right of each page.
- The entire research paper is double-spaced.
- Your name, name of professor, course title, and due date of paper on the first page.
- Your research paper title is centered.
- Body paragraphs have a 1/2 inch first line indent.
- A Works Cited page beginning on a separate page at the end of the paper.
I. How to Set the Font and Size:
By default, when you first create a new document, WordPerfect uses font Times New Roman and size 12 and that is correct so we do not need to change the font and size.
II. How to Set the Margins in WordPerfect:
By default, WordPerfect uses the margin of 1 inch for all top, right, left & bottom margins and that is correct so we do not need to modify the margins.
To verify the margins, there are several ways:
Method 1: On your keyboard, press Ctrl + F8 (that means press and hold the Ctrl key, keep holding it, then press the F8 key).
Method 2: Click on File => Click on Page Setup
Method 3: Click on Format => click on Margins.
III. How To Create a Header in WordPerfect:
It is a little tricky with WordPerfect. When you create a header, WordPerfect places the header at the 1 inch margin and that is incorrect.
The header should be placed at the 0.5 inch margin. To accomplish this, we need to change the top margin to 0.5 inch.
Press Ctrl + F8 on your keyboard to open the page setup properties => change the Top margin to 0.5 inch => Click OK to apply the change.
Now We Create the Header:
- Click on Insert => Header/Footer => Click on Edit.
- Click on the text alignment button and choose align Right.
- Type your LastName and a blank space.
- Click on Format => Page => Insert Page Number.
- In the new popup window, click on Insert => now click on the Close button.
IV. How to Setup Line Spacing to Double Spaced WordPerfect:
- Click on Format => Line => Spacing
- Change the value to 2.0 => Click on OK to apply the new setting.
V. How to Enter the First Page Information:
- Type your full name => press Enter.
- Type your professor’s name => press Enter.
- Type course title => press Enter.
- Type your paper’s due date => press Enter.
- Click on the Align Center icon on the formatting toolbar (to center your blinking cursor) => Type the title of your paper, capitalizing the first letter and all major words and proper nouns. Do not use italics, boldfaced type, underlining, or all caps to format your title. Do not type a period at the end of the title => press Enter.
- Click on the Align Left icon (to bring your blinking cursor to the left).
- Click on the Tab key to indent 1/2 inch to begin your first paragraph. Use the Tab key on every next new paragraphs. Your completed setting should look like this:
VI. How to Setup the Works Cited Page:
Follow this how-to when you are ready to work on your Works Cited page. The Works Cited page has the following characteristics:
- A heading “Works Cited” centered one inch below the top edge of a new page. Do not bold or underline this heading.
- No indent on the first line of each entry. If an entry runs more than one line, indent the subsequent line or lines 1/2 inch from the left margin.
- Alphabetize entries in your list of works cited by the author’s last name, using the letter-by-letter system.
- Immediately after typing the final line of your paper, click on Insert => New Page (to begin a new page). Your header with your last name and automatic page numbering should appear at the top left of your paper.
- Click on the Align Center icon so that the text is centered.
- Type Works Cited (do not underline, boldface, italicize, or enclose the title in quotation marks).
- Press the Enter key once to begin a new line.
- Click on the Align Left icon so that the text is aligned left.
- The feature to setup indentation on the subsequent line/lines is called Hanging Indent. To setup hanging indent => click on Format => Paragraph => click on Hanging Indent.
- Once you clicked on Hanging Indent, WordPerfect will not say anything to confirm but the settings already got applied.
- Now type your sources and you are done.
I hope you found this tutorial helpful. Take care!